Current:Home > MyMTV Movie & TV Awards 2023 Live Show Canceled After Drew Barrymore Exit -VisionFunds
MTV Movie & TV Awards 2023 Live Show Canceled After Drew Barrymore Exit
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 00:35:39
There's been another shakeup to the 2023 MTV Movie & TV Awards.
The May 7 show will not be broadcasted live as previously planned following host Drew Barrymore's exit, according to executive producer Bruce Gillmer.
"As we carefully navigate how best to deliver the fan first awards' show we envisioned that our team has worked so hard to create," he said in a statement to E! News May 5, "we're pivoting away from a live event that still enables us to produce a memorable night full of exclusive sneak peaks, irreverent categories our audience has come to expect, and countless moments that will both surprise and delight as we honor the best of film and TV over the past year.
A pre-taped ceremony is scheduled to air in place of the live broadcast.
News of the change comes one day after Barrymore announced she was stepping down as host at this year's awards show in solidarity with the striking members of the Writers Guild of America.
"I have listened to the writers, and in order to truly respect them, I will pivot from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards live," she said in a statement to Variety. "Everything we celebrate and honor about movies and television is born out of their creation. And until a solution is reached, I am choosing to wait but I'll be watching from home and hope you will join me."
However, the Charlie's Angels alum noted that she hopes to host the 2024 ceremony. "I thank MTV, who has truly been some of the best partners I have ever worked with," she continued. "And I can't wait to be a part of this next year, when I can truly celebrate everything that MTV has created, which is a show that allows fans to choose who the awards go to and is truly inclusive."
At the time, Gillmer said the network supported her decision. "She is not surprisingly, standing in solidarity with the writers," he told Variety, "which we have full respect for."
The WGA went on strike May 2 after six weeks of negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) broke down. Since then, many productions have been affected.
For one, an episode of Saturday Night Live initially slated to feature Pete Davidson as host and Lil Uzi Vert as the musical guest was canceled earlier this week due to the strike. Late-night shows like The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel Live and The Late Show With Stephen Colbert have also gone dark.
"The WGA Negotiating Committee began this process intent on making a fair deal," the guild said in a statement ahead of the strike, "but the studios' responses have been wholly insufficient given the existential crisis writers are facing."
The 2023 MTV Movie & TV Awards will air May 7 at 8 p.m. ET on MTV with simulcasts on BET, BET Her, Comedy Central, CMT, Logo, MTV2, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, Pop, TV Land and VH1.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (3647)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Nebraska’s special legislative session is high on conflict, low on progress to ease property taxes
- Why preseason struggles should serve as wake-up call for Chargers' Jim Harbaugh
- Periods don’t have to be painful. Here’s how to find relief from menstrual cramps.
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Nebraska’s special legislative session is high on conflict, low on progress to ease property taxes
- A 2-year-old accidentally shot and wounded his mother’s boyfriend, police say
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Election 2024 DNC Day 1
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Joe Jonas Shares Glimpse Into His Crappy 35th Birthday Celebration
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Election 2024 Harris
- 1000-Lb. Sisters' Tammy Slaton Shows Off 500 Pound Weight Loss Transformation in New Video
- Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas' Daughter Stella Banderas Engaged to Alex Gruszynski
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Teen Mom’s Farrah Abraham Shares Insight Into 15-Year-Old Daughter Sophia’s Latest Milestone
- How Nevada aims to increase vocational education
- Georgia election board approves new rules that critics fear could allow certification delays
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez will resign from Senate after bribery convictions
After $615 Million and 16 Months of Tunneling, Alexandria, Virginia, Is Close to Fixing Its Sewage Overflow Problem
Indianapolis police sergeant faces internet child exploitation charges, department says
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Beyoncé launches new whiskey with Moët Hennessy, and it's named after a family member
Alaska’s top 4 open primary to set stage for a ranked vote in key US House race
Watch 'Inside Out 2's deleted opening scene: Riley bombs at the talent show